Friday, June 11, 2010

Two weeks Ago Today (Fontan)



It's hard to believe it's been two weeks already since Luna's Fontan operation. It already seems like a life time ago. The feeling is not unlike carrying around a heavy and impressive tome, and one you may not always be up for reading, but must do so, in order to move on to the next phase of life. We've just finished the last chapter. We feel collectively lighter as we put the book away on the family bookcase, where it will sit, hopefully for years, before we'll need to make amendments. Luna's Fontan, the last of her three open heart surgeries to correct her circulatory system, was completed two weeks ago. Her follow-up visit to cardiologist was all smiles. Her team was beaming as soon as they read her echocardiogram. And her sats? Pretty darn close to mine at 95. I'm telling you, this kid is magic.

I thought it would be fun to show photos depicting her speedy recovery.

###################################################

The Big Step Down. Regulars at hospitals like ourselves love this phrase. It's the first step towards breaking loose. Big sister Sienna benefited the most from this transition.

Time for Pet Therapy! A visit from Copley both excites and soothes the young patients.

Hospital bed mates get dressed for the big occasion. (Shhh, don't tell Sienna she's not a patient).


These next two photos are from the Portsmouth Chowder Fest, and were taken just one week after Luna's surgery. One week! She was on the heart and lung machine just one week prior!




I highly recommend taking the recipient of a major operation straight to the salon upon returning home from the hospital. And adding pink to the recent patients hair is always a good thing too for making one feel glamorous again.



On Wednesday Luna wore her Sunday best for her big sister's end of school year Tea Party. Isn't she lucky to have such tiny and dainty feet?!

2 comments:

ClarityK (Sarah) said...

I'm so happy for you all that she is doing so well - it must be like a huge weight lifted from your shoulders. What gorgeous pictures, too
Sarah

Shannon said...

Your little Luna is precious!

I'm Shannon, and I came across your blog through Google on your HLHS Alphabet Soup post. I had to comment because I was so excited (in a weird, heart mom sort of way) to read about Luna's heart. Our son, Derrick, is also single ventricle. He's not HLHS, because he also has DORV and dextrocardia. I read your description of Luna's heart to my husband and he said, "Oh my gosh, that's just like Derrick's heart!" We know lots of HLHS kids and single ventricle kids, but none of them are also dextrocardic kids! I just had to stop in and say "hello!" and let you know that I think we have Luna's younger, long lost brother! Ha!

I'm glad she's doing so well. She's absolutely adorable, and I look forward to reading all about her!

Shannon
www.carolinacarters.blogspot.com