Sunday, June 1, 2008

Conversations with Leo


Luna has shaped up to be quite the conversationalist. Within the last few weeks she has really taken to babbling. She's only 2 1/2 months, but I swear, this baby can chat up anything! In fact she shares the same birthday as Rupert Murdoch. OK, so I'm not sure if he's a great conversationalist, but isn't he king of all media owning the Wall Street Journal (along with the Dow Jones). Perhaps big, BIG media plans are in store for Luna.

This cooing and shrieking started a few weeks ago while we were all driving. Above the hum of the road and the blare of kid-friendly radio (read: bad music) we could hear Luna in the back. Her high-pitched shrieks and gurgling noises rose above everything. Paul asked if she was crying. I looked back to see her completely engaged with the little lion hanging off her carseat handle. She was totally smitten-as we could see her reflection in the safety mirror harnessed to the back seat (which is not at all safe since I'm constantly trying to look into it from my rear view mirror while I'm driving). This conversation went on for miles. Until she finally got fed up with Leo and started crying. Not a hungry cry, nor a tired cry, but a real get-out-of-my-face-you're-annoying-me-cry. I reached back and pulled Leo off the bar and she immediately settled into a deep sleep.

But it didn't stop there. Every time I have her in her carseat, be it in the house, in the yard, on the deck with Sienna; Luna carries on with Leo like they are the dearest of friends. However, today there is tension between Leo and Luna. Once again we were all driving. This time to buy Sienna some Crocs (pale yellow with a mushroom and...a lion charm!). Luna was once again making noises from the backseat. They started low and infrequent and I thought she might be hungry again. But gradually they bubbled into full yelps. At one point she sounded like she was whining. When I turned back I noticed that Leo had turned his back on her. Apparently there was an argument. Words were exchanged. Leo wanted nothing to do with Luna and she was pleading with him. I finally pulled Leo off and dangled a monkey in its place. Mr. Monkey wasn't much for conversation and within moments Luna was fast asleep. Sadly, Leo and Luna haven't spoken to each other since.

3 comments:

Mindi said...

Sabrina,
You are hysterical. What a gifted writer! Thank you for making me laugh today. Your girls are gorgeous and Luna looks like she is as content as they come. Take care.

Mindi

Kathy said...

Sabrina,
Absolutely love keeping up with all the news about Little Luna and everything else going on in your lives. Keep up the great work. You are a terrific mom and a wonderful communicator.

Janelle said...

Luna and Leo remind me of Calvin and Hobbs... looks like he's going to be her partner in crime!